server-related: new server 4.3

server-related: new server 4.3

Hello everybody,

As you all might have noticed we are in need of a well running server. Therefore I am opening this threat. What I need are server ideas and suggestions.
      I would focus on 1 server that everybody would enjoy. We need to attracted players that will play regularly on it. "The Regulars" those are the base of a servers success. Good administration and a friendly server atmosphere as well as other factors will give the server a good reputation. But first we need a good server concept!! Let's start with the base first :)

Below I will give you a list of questions that can give you a start on how to approach your idea.

1. Which MOD should the server have and why? TDM/TS/Jump/...
      2. What would I enjoy playing regularly?
      3. Is this concept that I am suggesting already in use? If yes: Is it really worth it to copy such concept or do we need a unique concept?
      4. Which maps should be included on the server?
      5. How many slots should the server have?
      6. What server-name do I find most appealing according to my suggestions above.

I am looking forward to your ideas. Deadline is the 30th of october. HQ will then evaluate your suggestions and open a brand new server with newly set stats according to the outcome of this.

Best :heaven:
      Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility.
      Peter F.
      Well seems like I'll start xD I'll just say what I always liked the most. Feel free to add other ideas.

1. I always prefered TDM the most. You can continuously play and you can play with whatever weapon you prefer.
      2. I enjoy playing a lot of different maps... not only one over and over. Some variation would be good.
      3. I'm suggesting just a simple TDM server for now because I personally think it appeals to a large amount of people. Not everybody likes sth "special". We might then have a smaller portion of interested persons.
      4. As many maps as possible. Big variation means there's a map for everyone. And it should be possible to vote for a map.
      5. At least 15-20 people should be able to play together. As in TDM it's more fun with more players. In my opinion.
      6. The name should be sth that can be easily found. So it should contain the Gamemode and some info about the server like "All maps". Keep it simple. I long names with symbols mostly don't appeal to me. Maybe because I can't remember the name of these servers.
      Hodiefar, Second Lieutenant

Thanks for this thread, I have been planning to create a thread about it as well, it doesn't matter now

Well, I've been thinking for a while that I would like to have a server TDM, this mod is the only one that I have enjoyed playing at the moment and it has popular between players as well.

The number of slots on a server should be 15/15 and if we see players more than that, then we have to increase the number of slots.

This mod TDM should be played all weaps as you already know, and that's what makes this mod more fun.

I've noticed that bot attracts players if a server is empty, but if there are 4 players on a server, then automatic should be kicked bots

I have the same opinion as hodie, the voting could have available for some players, (only for trusted players)

Concerning about the maps, I already had a list of maps and which include:

ut4_abbey

ut4_trunpike

ut4_casa

ut4_sanc

ut4_kingpin

ut4_orbital

ut4_uptown

ut4_algiers

ut4_kingdom

As far as I know, these maps should be played on a server TDM.

I hope it would be good ideas.
      dev, Major
      Human Recources

aCen – Alpha Centauri Foundation
      Multigaming Community

dev@acen.eu
      acen.eu

Post was edited 3 times, last by “dev” ().

I hope any1 can understand this :whistling:

D = Day(s), v = versus, sec = second(s), min = minimum/minute(s), max = maximum, TLDR = Too long didn't read

TLDR; "I want TDM/CTF, 24 players total atleast, map rotation & changing maps included in the rotation every 3 D atleast, some form of voting for registered & trusted people & respawn time shouldn't be there if possible or 1 sec atleast & respawn protection 2 sec atleast"

IMO a good server should be a platform which evolves & keeps doing so according to the demands. So the name can be informative like "aCen TDM/CTF, etc...". The maps should be on rotation changing every 7 min atleast & 15 min max & the maps included in the rotation should change so if 3 maps were in rotation then after atleast 3 D the maps should be changed 7 D max to change maps if the maps on rotation include atleast 7 maps or more then some maps can be kept which are most liked upon so a system where a player can like or dislike a map with a B3 command, a registered player should've access to voting for changing current map, nextmap, cycling maps but a time limit for each vote should be there so as to avoid its abuse, voting for kicking some1 should be give to some1 you trust & so on & so forth, the direct changing of maps & kicking, etc... without voting keep that to aCen, there should be atleast 24 player slots in total so 12 v 12, I <3 respawns & therefore TDM/CTF for me is "Heaven" :heaven: , I enjoy playing TDM/CTF regularly more so than any other "modes/mods".

The concept of TDM/CTF is as old as FPS games go & there are a lot of servers in UrT using TDM/CTF so as long the "Respawn is with me & I'm 1 with the Respawn" I'm game :thumbsup: . But Survivor also has respawns it takes a long time to respawn though as you've to wait for every1 of some team to "die" which I don't like but you get my point, right??? 8|

Some1 said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal." So in a way yes it can be considered as a copy but its totally worth it.

I've seen servers where I can't join the msg displayed is "This server is for low pings only." or I can join but as soon as I do the bot screams & warns me, "Warning 1 : Your ping is higher than xxx ping" eventually I get autokicked. If all servers were like this then I can't even play the game so make the server 999 ping friendly :evil:

The respawn times should be short so max 3 sec & there should be protection against SK which means max 3 sec respawn protection & I'd rather prefer there to be no respawn time if possible or 1 sec respawn time & 2 sec respawn protection which means I'm getting more action :P

In the end the name of the server which I'd like is "aCen TDM/CTF" something along those lines according to the type of server.

I agree with Hodie & Dev on the points such as "TDM" "Variable maps" "Increase slots as the server traffic increases" "All weapons" "Having some aimbots to keep people entertained while they wait for aimhumans to join & get autokicked as aimhumans join in on the action".
      I'm Sope!

dev wrote:

I've noticed that bot attracts players if a server is empty

I usually tend to avoid servers with bots. If I join a server that displayed a handful of human players only to discover they are actually all bots (either because the server is improperly configured or conceals them), I just disconnect and put that server on a blacklist.
      I just find fragging bots in UrT boring and it's a personal opinion, but I'm far from being the only one who thinks that way. So maybe something you want to consider ;)

As for the TDM servers they are a dime a dozen currently, if you choose to go vanilla all weapons you will not have a lot of room to stray from the pack besides having a carefully crafted custom map cycle (and that means playing the same stock maps that every other server has as little as possible).
      Though I'm not against infinite stamina ;)

/my 2c.

Also I really miss a small EU CTF server, the most popular one right now regularly has 20+ players connected and it would be nice to have an alternative.
      I like playing on servers with smaller crowds ranging from 8 to 16 players unless your server features big/huge maps (or an adaptative mapcycle), so I may not represent your targeted playerbase but I sure hope to see another quality server where I can have my regular share of fun.

Peace out 8)
      I agree with Mr. Yeah. I often find myself on a server wih only bots... and that's not really fun. Even worse if I don't even know who's a bot and who's an actual player.

Also if we add map votes... I'd actually think everybody should be able to vote for a map. Because if nobody that can vote for a map plays and the player aren't happy with the map they'll probably leave.
      I think we should add as many maps as possible. Not only maps that might fit with TDM.

The server on which I played at first had almost all maps that existed. So it was never boring. Even if there are 10-15 maps in order... they'll get boring after a while. Also I'd like season specific maps. Like now that halloween and soon christmas comes we could add some holiday themed maps. I know there's also a mod for snow and christmas hats. That would add some uniqueness.

Oh I was mistaken then but actually some players are still playing with bots as I saw.

but as I said, bots will be kicked automatic by b3 if there are 4 players on the server.

But thanks for sharing your opinions Mr. Yeah & Sop3t! :)

#EDIT

Hodie wrote:

I'd actually think everybody should be able to vote for a map.

Hodie some players vote for a big map although there are 3 players on the server and at the end, players will leave because of that, that's why I said for trusted players.

dev, Major
      Human Recources

aCen – Alpha Centauri Foundation
      Multigaming Community

dev@acen.eu
      acen.eu

Post was edited 2 times, last by “dev” ().

Alrigh so I have ideas by my own. Everything aside I would really like to have a low grav MOD on the side. I really like the map cube2 with that. Other then that I've seen a lot of TDM requests. I agree on that. I think a TDM-Mod is were new players start at. I really like the mapcycle idea too. We can even add shadow's map that he made for us in there as well.

A TS server will attract better players but that's not what we are searching for at the moment. We are about the community right now, so a TDM server would be perfect for that. If we decide to run it on a mapcycle I would allow a nextmap vote. I also would include special rights for regular players at the server, forum and discord.

The regulars could be put in a special group something like ''regulars'' or similar. They could for example have powers like !bal or !say. On the administration side we have a good admin base at the moment. Everery member knows how to handle everything by now so that's something we don't have to worry about. So in conclusion I am for the TDM server and a low grav server aside :))
      Peter F.
      1. Low grav. mod
      - around 12-18 players at most
      - smaller maps probably ( Turnpike, limited Abbey, etc. )
      - giving limited rights to regulars
      - xlrstats and rank needed

2. TDM/CTF
      ( since there are lots of them already... )
      - unlimited stamina
      - 26-32 players
      - mapcycle depending on the amount of players playing atm
      - commands like !balance !teams etc. open for everyone
      - xlrstats and rank needed

3. Bomb
      ( Me and Hobbe$ ( probably Dev too, I saw him playing alot on the Dust2 bomb server in 4.2 ) would love to have an all clean, small and vanilla Bomb-Server, even though I know that it doenst quite fit into the intention of gaining popularity I still want to mention and suggest it )
      - vanilla
      - 12 or MAX. 16 players
      - small/medium sized maps in a small mapcycle ( Dust2, BombAbbey, BombKingdom, limited Casa ) - ( around 4-6 maps )
      - enable !teams, !balance to everyone
      - xlrstats aren't necessary

I think that as long as we stay away from the sr8 and zomb Mod servers who are full of bugs and server sickness, filled with toxic and raging players ( mostly, not all ofc ) we are heading into a bright future! :heaven:

PS: no giving away JEO rights anymore, admin rights should stay in the clan ( with a few exceptions of course )
      PS 2: no ping limitations
      Come along, follow me, as I lead through the darkness.

dev wrote:

Hodie some players vote for a big map although there are 3 players on the server and at the end, players will leave because of that, that's why I said for the trusted players.

But if most of the people agree for the vote they'll be okay with it. A single person can't decide on a map. So in my opinion I don't think that will be a problem.

But Sparrow... why so bitter about the JEO rights? Only poschy got JEO. And I think as my boyfriend he's a good clan friend. xD
      So what's the problem?

Sparrow wrote:

3. Bomb
      ( Me and Hobbe$ ( probably Dev too, I saw him playing alot on the Dust2 bomb server in 4.2 ) would love to have an all clean, small and vanilla Bomb-Server, even though I know that it doenst quite fit into the intention of gaining popularity I still want to mention and suggest it )
      - vanilla
      - 12 or MAX. 16 players
      - small/medium sized maps in a small mapcycle ( Dust2, BombAbbey, BombKingdom, limited Casa ) - ( around 4-6 maps )
      - enable !teams, !balance to everyone
      - xlrstats aren't necessary

I think that as long as we stay away from the sr8 and zomb Mod servers who are full of bugs and server sickness, filled with toxic and raging players ( mostly, not all ofc ) we are heading into a bright future! :heaven:

That was the first mention of bomb mode in this thread but you can count me in for supporting a 12-16 slots bomb server!
      Hello everybody,

HQ evaluated your opinions and made a decision based on that.

The First Server will be a 32 slot TDM server with a mapcycle:
      The mapcycle will be as followed:
      ut4_abbey
      ut4_trunpike
      ut4_casa
      ut4_sanc
      ut4_kingpin
      ut4_orbital
      ut4_uptown
      ut4_algiers
      ut4_kingdom
      (and shadow's map that he made for us :) forgot how it's called^)

The second server we will have will be a low grav server with 16 slots.
      The server will run on a cube02 map.

both servers will have unlimited stamina and colored names available.

This are the servers that we will have up soon. It might take about 1-2 weeks until we got everything set up and running since we ran into some b3 trouble again. We are currently working on fixing everything.

that's it for now comrades
      -heaven
      Peter F.
      I will try to fix the b3 issue today if possible. I apologize for the delay. There will be a serverlist update as well. (Especially on POSCHY's and HODIE's request)
      heavenlyEq, Commander in Chief
      Headquarters
      Peter F.